1/1 Photo of Potatoes Delmonico (Casserole)
Bone Man's Note:
An elegant side dish served in the finest New York and Boston Hotels/Restaurants in the 1920s and '30s. It's a bit of work but it's not difficult if you follow the instructions and the result is certainly worth the effort. If ever there was a recipe "from scratch," this is it - thus, it's a great recipe on which one can begin building real cooking skills. The genesis of this dish comes from "Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cook Book". Definitely not for dieters! It's my favorite side dish with poultry and/or pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make the white sauce, begin by melting butter in a double boiler.
- 2Blend in flour and seasonings.
- 3Add milk gradually, bring to a boil (stirring) and maintain a mild boil for two minutes.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside in a warm place when finished.
- 5To prepare the potatoes, boil or bake the potatoes, not too soft!
- 6Cool boiled potatoes in cold water; drain, refrigerate until cool; peel and slice.
- 7To assemble and complete the dish, spray a Pyrex 8"x12" casserole dish with Pam Spray (or grease lightly with shortening).
- 8Pour a little white sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- 9Layer one half of the potatoes on top of the white sauce.
- 10Pour and spread just slightly less than half the remaining sauce over that layer.
- 11Sprinkle on half of shredded cheese.
- 12Add a second layer of potatoes.
- 13Spread the remaining white sauce and cheese, just as before.
- 14Sprinkle the bread crumbs, with the melted butter mixed in, over the top of the white sauce and cheese.
- 15Bake in a preheated 375 degree fahrenheit oven until the top becomes golden brown. (About 45 minutes - watch this closely!).
- 16Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes Delmonico (Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 367.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g