Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm not sure where this recipe is originally from, but I submitted it to a local church's cookbook that was published in the late 70's. The potatoes are fantastic and can be prepared for baking the day before you plan to serve them.
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium baking potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- white pepper, to taste
- Combine milk,butter,salt and pepper in a large saucepan and slowly bring it to the boiling point.
- While the milk is heating, peel and thinly slice the potatoes, dropping the slices into the hot milk.
- Add garlic, partly cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes feel almost done when tested with the point of a sharp knife.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon potatoes and their liquid into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until the sauce has thickened and the cheese has melted and browned slightly, about 45 minutes.
- If prepared the day before, cover and refrigerate potatoes and increase baking time by about 20 minutes.