Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great side dish!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter and add flour,salt and pepper.
- Pour in milk and stir until thick. Set aside.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Layer the potatoes then onions then cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Pour a little of the white sauce over these layers make sure you keep enough to pour over the top.
- Repeat the next layer as you did the last two layers.
- When you are ready to bake this bake at 350°F for 1 hour then remove the top and bake until done.
- If you prefer the potatoes not to get brown keep covered as I do.
- This might take another 15 minutes depending in your oven.
I made this tonight, scaled down to fit a loaf pan, using one huge potato (about 3 cups sliced). I omitted the onion, reduced the salt by 75%, and reduced all of the other ingredients by 50%. Based on a previous review, I par-boiled the potato slices before I layered them. I added some extra cheese on top and baked the potatoes for 30 minutes. This is the best au gratin potato recipe I've made yet. So, I'll definitely be keeping it around. Thanks!
So yummy!!!! I used half the pepper, and onion salt instead of onions due to family preference. I was also in a hurry so I parboiled the potatoes and it (half recipe) was done in 30 minutes. :) Thanks so much for posting...this is exactly what my taste buds had in mind!! I will be making again!
I say YUM! and a big help that I had all ingredients on-hand. That being said, this is my first attempt at Potatoes au Gratin, and I didn't measure anything -- just eyeballed it, and roughly halfed it for an 8x8 pan. I don't foresee going to any other recipe. Works for me! Thanks!