1/2 Photos of Potatoes and Sausage Skillet Fry
I jokingly call this my Breakfast for People Who Are Worried About their Saturated Fat Intake. There is more and more evidence that saturated fats are an important and healthy part of a balanced diet. Your brain, hormones and the cell membranes in every part of your body are made out of them. Buy some good sausage, some good cheese and make this as a treat for yourself. They don't say someone is "fat and happy" for no reason :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups red potatoes or 2 cups yellow potatoes, diced to 1/2 inch
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon new mexico chile powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup colby or 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1In a 10 inch cast iron skillet crumble and brown the breakfast sausage over medium heat. The crumbles should be about marble sized and cooked through. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve for later and try not to eat it all.
- 2If you must, pour off or blot a little of the sausage grease out of the pan, but really you don't have to. Add the cubed potatoes to the pan and stir to coat with the grease and to keep them from sticking. Liberally salt and pepper the potatoes and sprinkle with garlic powder. Stir and turn again, turn the heat down a little and put a lid on the pan. Check the potatoes every 5 to 10 minutes, stirring and turning so they brown evenly.
- 3When the potatoes are almost done add the onion to the pan. Turn and cook another 10 minutes or so or until the onion is cooked and the potatoes are browned and cooked through.
- 4Add the sausage back to the pan and cover everything with the cheese. Put the lid back on the pan and let the cheese melt, another 2-4 minutes.
- 5Serve with slices of tomatoes, a sprinkling of parsley or other fresh herbs or just ketchup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes and Sausage Skillet Fry
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.8
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 62.5 mg
- Sodium 1109.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.4 g