Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is from "The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker". This isn't an awesome dish, but it is good and very satisfying....even if you're serving a carnivore as long as you're generous with the cashews. The recipe originally called for 2 lbs. of small potatoes. I think it was about 1/4 - 1/2 lb. too many and have modified the ingredient list accordingly. You can also use yellow potatoes instead of the red ones, but the red are nice because of the all the color contrast that gets going in this dish. You can use hot red curry paste, but you may want to test it at 2 T. first to be sure that it won't make the final dish too hot.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1 . 5-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, sliced vertically into sections
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons mild red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 . 5-inch pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup dry-roasted cashews
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Place them, along with the onion, in the slower cooker.
- Mix the following: coconut milk, curry paste, sugar and soy sauce. Pour over the potatoes. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hrs, or until the potatoes are somewhat tender to a fork.
- Add the sweet potato, cover and continue cooking on low for another 2 - 3 hrs., or until all vegetables are tender. Add the peas along with salt to taste. (NOTE: My frozen peas had ice on them; I ran them under a cold faucet until the ice was gone.) Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with cashews and cilantro. Serve over rice.
- COOKING NOTE: I cooked this in the following intervals: 1 hour high, 1 hour low, 1.5 hours high -- which would equal 6 hrs on low.