6 hrs 15 mins
Debbie R.'s Note:
This is from "The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker". This isn't an awesome dish, but it is good and very satisfying....even if you're serving a carnivore as long as you're generous with the cashews. The recipe originally called for 2 lbs. of small potatoes. I think it was about 1/4 - 1/2 lb. too many and have modified the ingredient list accordingly. You can also use yellow potatoes instead of the red ones, but the red are nice because of the all the color contrast that gets going in this dish. You can use hot red curry paste, but you may want to test it at 2 T. first to be sure that it won't make the final dish too hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1 . 5-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, sliced vertically into sections
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons mild red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 . 5-inch pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Place them, along with the onion, in the slower cooker.
- 2Mix the following: coconut milk, curry paste, sugar and soy sauce. Pour over the potatoes. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hrs, or until the potatoes are somewhat tender to a fork.
- 3Add the sweet potato, cover and continue cooking on low for another 2 - 3 hrs., or until all vegetables are tender. Add the peas along with salt to taste. (NOTE: My frozen peas had ice on them; I ran them under a cold faucet until the ice was gone.) Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 4To serve, sprinkle with cashews and cilantro. Serve over rice.
- 5COOKING NOTE: I cooked this in the following intervals: 1 hour high, 1 hour low, 1.5 hours high -- which would equal 6 hrs on low.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potatoes and Peas in Red Curry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.3
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 173.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste