Recipe by Barb G.
This is a good casserole, a meal by its self or a side dish. The recipe comes from Gourmet Foods.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄4 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 ounces gruyere cheese (or other sweet cheese)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices boiled ham or 4 slices mortadella
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 little rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a heat-resisting pan and strew with bread crumbs.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 3 peeled and thinly sliced potatoes.
- Wet them with a coffee-cup of milk.
- Add half sliced onion, salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and a pinch of rosemary.
- Add 3/4 of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Add ham or mortadella.
- Cover with 3 1/2 ounces of Gruyere cheese.
- Now cover with the remaining 3 sliced potatoes.
- Add 1 coffee-cup of milk, the remaining half of sliced onion.
- Add the rest of parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Sprinkle with a little bread crumbs.
- Put pieces of butter on top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until potatoes are done and top is golden.