Recipe by Dancer^
Our Friend Julie gave me this recipe a few years ago, she told me she found it online and changed it just enough to suit her family.
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 lbs golden potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces gorgonzola blue cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mushrooms in a small bowl filled with warm water.
- Soak the mushrooms for about 30 minutes until softened.
- Drain, chop coarsely and set aside.
- Slice the potatoes very thin and place in a container.
- Fill with water until the potatoes are covered.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the butter in skillet and turn heat to medium.
- When the butter starts foaming, add mushrooms, soaked wild mushrooms, and thyme.
- Saute until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid is evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In a bowl mash the blue cheese until smooth.
- Add the cream and mix to dissolve the cheese.
- Spread the bottom of a baking dish with a little butter.
- Place one third of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread evenly half of the mushrooms on the potatoes.
- Add a layer with half of the remaining potatoes, a spread on top the remaining mushrooms.
- Top with the remaining potatoes.
- Pour the cream mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Top evenly with the grated parmigiano cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender, the cream is absorbed and the surface is golden.
- Serve hot spooning from the dish.