Recipe by Manami
This recipe is easy but time consuming. However, I guarantee once you have tasted it you may think it was worth your while. I had this at friend's house one evening and I had to have the recipe, so I could share it with all of you. Recipe courtesy: Emeril Lagasse, "Emeril's Potluck", 2004.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 5 lbs Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Once the butter has melted, saute the onions in the pan, stirring often until the onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Season the onions with 1/2 teaspoon of salt & 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Set the onions aside to cool.
- Using the same skillet, melt another 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat, and sauté about 1/4 of the potatoes until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Season the potatoes 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Set the potatoes aside to cool while you continue to cook the remaining potatoes.
- Repeat this process with the remaining butter, salt & pepper.
- Once all of the potatoes have been cooked & cooled place 1/4 of them in a slightly overlapping single layer into a 9x13 casserole pan.
- Sprinkle a third of the caramelized onions over the potatoes, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the chopped thyme.
- Place another layer of the potatoes on top of the onions, another third of the onions and another teaspoon of the thyme.
- Repeat this process with the remaining potatoes, onions & thyme, finishing with a top layer of potatoes.
- Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place the casserole in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350F degrees, and continue to cook the casserole until the potatoes are golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.