Recipe by Lainey6605
I saw Rachael Ray prepare this hearty vegetable soup on today's television show. It looks very good and healthy.
Top Review by ellie_
Very good soup, even though I felt lazy and didn't make the cheese crisps -- instead just passed around the Parmesan for everyone to sprinkle on their soup. Next time I will try the cheese crisps too! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise then cut into half moons
- 1 (28 ounce) canfire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock to make this meal vegetarian)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, potatoes and zucchini.
- Cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock to the pot, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the soup up to a boil then turn it down to a simmer.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and re-season.
- While the soup is simmering, heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of cheese in a small mound to the skillet.
- Repeat with the remaining cheese, making sure to keep each mound at least a half inch apart from the others.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and top with a cheese crisp.
- Garnish with basil.