Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Diane Rossen Worthington
- 1 onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1 unpeeled russet potato
- 1 garnet yam
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- canola oil, for frying
- Quarter onion.
- Dice potatoes.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, puree onion and eggs together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add both potatoes and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped but still retains some texture.
- Add the salt, pepper and flour, and quickly process to combine. Do not over-process.
- Pour batter into a medium bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1 tablespoon batter into the skillet to test the oil.
- If it is hot enough, the pancake will begin to sizzle and brown.
- Spoon batter into skillet, about 1 tablespoon per pancake, leaving a little room between each one.
- Flatten them with the back of a spoon and use the spatula to round the sides, if necessary.
- Fry pancakes for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn them and brown the other side, about 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet lined with 2 layers of paper towels.
- To serve now, place the pancakes on a platter and serve immediately.
- If making ahead, keep warm in a preheated 200-degree oven for up to 30 minutes.