Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
“This Eastern European stew is nutritious and delicious”; so says Leah Leneman in her book “Easy Vegan Cooking”. I would also imagine that it is also very filling and just what you want to eat as the weather gets cooler. I haven’t made this recipe yet, but will definitely try it in the future. Leah doesn’t specify how big to cut the potatoes (I’d think you’d want them fairly chunky) so cooking time is a bit of a guesstimate. Recipe posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb onion, finely sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar (raw cane sugar)
- 140 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chop the potatoes into even sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until golden brown; add the tomatoes, sugar and bay leaf and simmer until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the potatoes, seasoning and enough water to half cover them.
- Cook until the potatoes are soft and the sauce is thick then serve immediately.