Recipe by COOKGIRl
This one's been in my recipe file for years. You can use any type of potato but Yukons are one of my favorites. Recipe source unknown. Easy!
Top Review by Cinnamon Turtle
Nice, warming, creamy soup. I substituted Silk Creamer for the half and half. Worked great. Pureed with hand blender. It was easy to make and quick, except for picking watercress leaves.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, stems removed, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed, crushed to release flavor
- watercress leaf, for garnish
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add potatoes, watercress and onion to the pot.
- Cook, stirring about 5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, half and half cream, pepper and celery seed.
- Cover and cook over low heat, 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until pureed to desired consistency. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve garnished with watercress sprigs.