Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From TOH Spring Cooking for 2. This quick, comforting soup is thick as a chowder and full of veggies. It makes a great lunch for my DH and I.
- 1 strip bacon, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain.
- In the same pan, combine the potato, carrot, water, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Add cheese and butter; stir until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with bacon.