Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour 2006, this is a recipe adapted from the small community cookbook from Dixon House on the West Coast, South Island of New Zealand, now sadly out of print. Temperature was not given so I have made a guesstimate and cooked mine for 1 hour at 190 C (375 F). Vegetables: use what you have to hand and you just fill up the dish :) REGION: New Zealand.
- 500 g potatoes (1.1 lb)
- 15 g butter (0.5 oz)
- 284 ml cream (1/2 pint)
- 125 g bacon (4 oz)
- 150 g cheese (grated, 5 oz)
- 450 g stir fry vegetables (1 lb)
- 3 eggs
- Cook potatoes, mash and add grated cheese and press into an oven dish.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the vegetable and cook until they are soft. Spread the vegetables out on the potato base.
- Beat the cream and eggs together, add salt and pepper and pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 375 F (180 c) until brown.
Kiwi, this is delicious! I did decide to use a crust as I had one prepared that needed to be used, otherwise didn't stray from the recipe! I loved this!!!! Thank you so much for this delightful recipe! Made for 2009 Spring PAC
This was very tasty. I made it quite a while ago and forgot to post a review! I spread the potatoes quite thinly in a shallow plate and I think I cooked it a bit before filling it with the filling.. just so the milk mixture wouldn't absorb into the potatoes too much. I think I used 2% milk (I don't ever have cream on hand). I cut up my own veggies to use up what I had in the fridge. I just cooked it until it wasn't wet. Yum
This was really yummy, thank you for sharing this, i have a similar one that just layers potatoe onion and bacon and top with cheese but this was a lovely change