Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an American Heart Association recipe. It's a nice change from vegetable soup. Enjoy.
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, no-salt type
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add potatoes and frozen vegetables and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly blend the evaporated milk and the flour. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the milk-flour blend to the chowder. Stir over medium heat until chowder is thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Cook one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Note: If you don't care about the heart-healthy ingredients, just substitute regular ingredients. If you do this, hold off on adding the salt until the chowder is done and taste to see if it needs it.