Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy, easy, flavorful, cheezy...I'm running out of adjectives!!! Adapted from Italian Cooking & Living Magazine.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed,peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra
- butter, for pan
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 9 eggs
- 4 ounces freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (or domestic parmesan, please dont use the stuff in the can)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, and add enough cold water to cover, bring to boil and lower heat.
- Simmer until tender but firm, about 5-7 minutes, drain and return to hot pan to dry out.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Saute shallot in butter for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and turn off heat, set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the shallots mozzarella and 3/4°C Parmigiano, mix to combine.
- Make sure your Cast Iron Pan is buttered all around and on the sides.
- Place 1 layer potatoes in the bottom of the pan, Top with 1/4 of the egg mixture, add another layer of potatoes and 1/4 of the eggs, repeating until all of the ingredients are used.
- Be sure to end with a layer of potatoes.
- Top with remaining Parmigiano and bake 40-50 minutes until tender and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
this was a wonderful torte! it sliced ike a dream and the taste was rich and creamy/cheesy. i sliced my potatoes with a mandoline, used sweet vidalia onions, sea salt, fresh pepper. i used a regular all clad pan, and it browned on the bottom just fine. ilet it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. good easy side dish, thanks.