Recipe by Phil Franco
Use jarred roasted red peppers & dry them well with paper towels.
Top Review by BonnieZ
This was a delightfully different side dish. Although this recipe has a rather bold combination of flavors, they mellow considerably during baking, and combine beautifully. I did not have a pie plate that I felt was deep enough to hold the ingedients, so I chose to make this in an 9x9 square pan and it worked perfectly. I also skipped steaming the potatoes and just layered them in their raw state and it worked fine. The finished product is very eye appealing as well. Thank you Phil for sharing the recipe.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup thin strips roasted red pepper, patted dry
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fennel
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3⁄4 lb thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F& butter an 8 cup deep-dish pie pan.
- Steam potatoes for 30 minutes. Cool and slice into thin slices.
- Saute onion and fennel in olive oil for 20 minutes. Stir in pesto.
- Layer about 1/2 of the potato slices overlapping& sprinkle with 1/2 of the red pepper strips; top with 1/2 of the cheese.
- Spread the onion mixture.
- Repeat layering, with potaoes& peppers.
- Cover with remaining cheese and sprinkle with olives.
- Cover with foil, place on a baking sheet & bake until potatoes are tender (50- 60 minutes); uncover for the last 10 to 15 minutes to crisp top.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.