1/1 Photo of Potato-Topped Beef Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
This is similar to Shepherd's pie! No need to serve up mashed potatoes on the side, as they are baked right on top of the casserole! Prep time includes cooking the potatoes and browning the ground beef. You will LOVE this! Throw in some canned mushrooms also into the beef mixture if desired!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium russet potatoes (peeled, sliced and cooked)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 2 -4 tablespoons cooking sherry (or use red wine)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup milk (I use whipping cream or buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees; Butter a 2-1/2 quart baking dish.
- 2In a heavy skillet, brown the ground beef in 2 tbsp butter, then add in onion, garlic, red and green bell pepper; saute until soft, spoon off excess fat.
- 3Add in Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, sherry, parsley; saute another 5 minutes.
- 4Spread the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- 5To the cooked potatoes, add the remaining butter and milk, beat or mix until smooth; season with salt to taste and black pepper if desired.
- 6Spread the potatoes over meat mixture evenly, making sure corners are covered well (use a spoon to push potato mixture tightly around sides and corners).
- 7Sprinkle top with grated cheddar cheese (or you can use Parmesan cheese in place of cheddar) bake, uncovered for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes and cheese are lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato-Topped Beef Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (628 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 791.0
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 192.5 mg
- Sodium 284.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 55.0 g