Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is just what you need for cold winter nights when the wind is blowing hard. this is stick-to-your-ribs comfort food.
Top Review by Vino Girl
I could easily make a meal out of this. :) I needed to cook the tomatoes longer to get the juice out but otherwise it all went as written. I did use a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese instead of swiss. Thank you for posting!
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 10 roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil in skillet over medium high heat until just soft. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute, just until aromatic. Add the tomato and rosemary; continue to cook until all moisture is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Layer 1/2 the sliced potatoes in the prepared casserole and season with salt and pepper. Top with 1/2 of the tomato mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes; remove foil and bake 15 minutes more to brown cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving so the cheese will set.