Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been reworked from Tomato Potato Cheddar Cheese Soup for the Make It Healthier recipe tag. Only a few items have been changed from the original but the fat content has been reduced substantially.
- 12 ounces light beer
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs potatoes (peeled and cut in chunks)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 stalk celery (sliced)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- In large stock pot, bring beer and broth to a boil.
- Add potatoes, bay leaves, basil and oregano.
- Boil for about 30 mins or till potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Melt butter in a large fry pan.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and tomatoes.
- Simmer on low till very soft and pasty. This may take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheese to tomato mixture, mix well.
- Add the tomato mixture to the potatoes and add cheese.
- Bring back to simmer long enough to heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and enjoy.