1/2 Photos of Potato, Tomato and Red Onion Nicoise With Gruyere
1 hr 10 mins
Sounds fancy, but it's really a simple, rustic-style French casserole that's very easy to make! Hope you try it! It's delish! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut garlic in half lengthwise, and rub inside of 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish. Finely chop rest and set aside.
- 2Cut potatoes into 1/4" slices. (Peel first if using russets. You don't need to peel Yukon Gold or Red potatoes.).
- 3Place potatoes in bowl of cold water, set aside.
- 4In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- 5Immerse tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds.
- 6Remove with slotted spoon and immediately place into bowl of ice water.
- 7Using a sharp knife, peel and remove core of tomatoes. *If you don't mind the skins, you can omit this step.
- 8Cut tomatoes into 1/2" slices.
- 9In small bowl, combine chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoons salt, basil, nutmeg and tarragon.
- 10Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- 11Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- 12Place half of the potatoes in casserole dish, sprinkle with half of the parsley mixture and half of the chopped garlic, or to taste.
- 13Top with half of the onions and half of the tomatoes.
- 14Sprinkle the tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- 15Top with 1 cup gruyere.
- 16Repeat with second half of ingredients layering the same except for the cheese.
- 17After sprinkling the top layer of tomatoes with a 1/4 teaspoons salt, cut butter into small pieces and dot top.
- 18Cover casserole loosely with foil.
- 19Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or til potatoes are fork-tender.
- 20Remove foil and top with remaining cup of gruyere cheese.
- 21Bake uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- 22Also really good with sliced black olives sprinkled on top!
- 23Serve with coarse ground pepper or hot pepper flakes if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato, Tomato and Red Onion Nicoise With Gruyere
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.7
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 74.6 mg
- Sodium 823.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 21.4 g