Recipe by Wildflour
Sounds fancy, but it's really a simple, rustic-style French casserole that's very easy to make! Hope you try it! It's delish! :)
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 medium potatoes, I like Yukon Gold
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 3 medium red onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded gruyere
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut garlic in half lengthwise, and rub inside of 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish. Finely chop rest and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4" slices. (Peel first if using russets. You don't need to peel Yukon Gold or Red potatoes.).
- Place potatoes in bowl of cold water, set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- Immerse tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove with slotted spoon and immediately place into bowl of ice water.
- Using a sharp knife, peel and remove core of tomatoes. *If you don't mind the skins, you can omit this step.
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2" slices.
- In small bowl, combine chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoons salt, basil, nutmeg and tarragon.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- Place half of the potatoes in casserole dish, sprinkle with half of the parsley mixture and half of the chopped garlic, or to taste.
- Top with half of the onions and half of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Top with 1 cup gruyere.
- Repeat with second half of ingredients layering the same except for the cheese.
- After sprinkling the top layer of tomatoes with a 1/4 teaspoons salt, cut butter into small pieces and dot top.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or til potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove foil and top with remaining cup of gruyere cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Also really good with sliced black olives sprinkled on top!
- Serve with coarse ground pepper or hot pepper flakes if desired.