Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a random creation one night and has since become a hands-down favorite. I LOVE it! A delightful blend of flavors - great for cold days :) Please note the nutrition facts are based on "sausage" rather than "chicken sausage" - so it throws it off.
- 30 ounces shredded hash browns (I use a bag of Oreda's frozen ones)
- 32 ounces diced hash browns (I use a bag of Oreda's frozen cubed hash browns)
- 32 ounces rice milk (one regular sized container, you can swap it our for milk if you want)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken apple sausages (I use Trader Joe's)
- 2 large onions
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
Seasonings which can be modified to taste
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt (I use Celtic Sea Salt)
- 1 teaspoon season salt (I use Lawry's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Put the milk and frozen shredded hash browns in a pot over high heat. Cover.
- Cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces (personally I do the coin-sized ones cut in half).
- Brown the sausages in a skillet using a little butter.
- While sausage is browning, the hash browns should soften as the milk begins to simmer.
- Once the hash browns are soft, pour the milk/hash brown combo into a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth (gives a nice thick, creamy base).
- Put the creamed potatoes back in the pot over medium heat and add the cubed hash browns and seasonings.
- When the sausage bites are nicely browned, add them to the pot as well - stir periodically.
- Chop your onions and saute them in the skillet with the remaining butter.
- Once onions are softened, clear, and a golden color, add them to the pot and lower the heat. Continuing to keep covered.
- Turn heat off once the cubed potatoes are soft.
- Allow flavors to sit and mingle in pot.
- Serve and enjoy!