1/1 Photo of Potato & Sweet Chicken Sausage Chowder
Meghan Williams's Note:
This was a random creation one night and has since become a hands-down favorite. I LOVE it! A delightful blend of flavors - great for cold days :) Please note the nutrition facts are based on "sausage" rather than "chicken sausage" - so it throws it off.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 30 ounces shredded hash browns (I use a bag of Oreda's frozen ones)
- 32 ounces diced hash browns (I use a bag of Oreda's frozen cubed hash browns)
- 32 ounces rice milk (one regular sized container, you can swap it our for milk if you want)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken apple sausages (I use Trader Joe's)
- 2 large onions
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
Seasonings which can be modified to taste
- 1Put the milk and frozen shredded hash browns in a pot over high heat. Cover.
- 2Cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces (personally I do the coin-sized ones cut in half).
- 3Brown the sausages in a skillet using a little butter.
- 4While sausage is browning, the hash browns should soften as the milk begins to simmer.
- 5Once the hash browns are soft, pour the milk/hash brown combo into a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth (gives a nice thick, creamy base).
- 6Put the creamed potatoes back in the pot over medium heat and add the cubed hash browns and seasonings.
- 7When the sausage bites are nicely browned, add them to the pot as well - stir periodically.
- 8Chop your onions and saute them in the skillet with the remaining butter.
- 9Once onions are softened, clear, and a golden color, add them to the pot and lower the heat. Continuing to keep covered.
- 10Turn heat off once the cubed potatoes are soft.
- 11Allow flavors to sit and mingle in pot.
- 12Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato & Sweet Chicken Sausage Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.7
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.1 mg
- Sodium 1290.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: