Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted for ZWT7. The recipe I found used yellow food dye, but I thought colouring it with a little turmeric would be more authentic.
- Boil the potatoes and egg until fully cooked.
- Heat the chicken stock.
- Add the Flour and stir until smooth. Using a whisk will help make it smooth faster.
- Add the turmeric and stir well.
- Once the egg is fully cooked, remove the shell and cut it into 4 pieces.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and mash. Slowly add the rest of the flour. The potatoes should be like a dough. You may not need the full 1/2 cup of flour, it depends on how big the potatoes are.
- Once the potatoes are dough like, pinch some off and flatten.
- Add one piece of egg in the middle and bring the potato around it to fully cover the egg.
- Shape it into a circle or oval.
- Heat a pan of oil on the stove.
- Dip each potato ball into the stock mixture and coat well.
- Drop it into hot oil and fry until crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
I had some problems with this recipe. Only 2 of the potato balls came out nicely but the rest were a mess. The batter peeled off the potato and the potato became extremely oily. I'm sure it was my fault, but I don't know what I did wrong. The 2 that came out nice tasted good, but not amazing. They were a little plain for my taste. If I had to make them again I would add some parmesan cheese and parsley to the mashed potatoes.