Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
To save time saute the mushroom stems with onions with the parsley, salt and pepper ahead of time or even a day ahead, these are very good!
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or 1 lb yam, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb white potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, skin removed and left whole
- 1 extra large bay leaf (or 2 small bay leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 portabella mushrooms (about 4-5 inches in diameter)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (more if needed)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or a pinch of dry)
- Cook all the potatoes, garlic and the bay leaf in a large saucepan until very tender, about 12-13 minutes; drain and discard the bay leaf, leave the cooked garlic.
- Return the cooked potatoes and the garlic cloves to the pot.
- Mash until very smooth; cool slightly.
- Add in 6 tablespoons cheese; mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add/whisk in the 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk.
- Remove mushroom stems and chop finely.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the mushroom stems and onion; saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Set oven 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a lightly greased baking dish.
- Brush the rounded sides of the mushrooms with oil.
- Place on the baking sheet (fan sides upwards).
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Divide the onion mixture between mushroom caps.
- Mound potato mixture on top of the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until heated through.
I used white yams and made it exactly as written. The only problem I had was that the muchrooms lost their shape and went completely flat. My company thought I did something special to make them that way so I just said "it's my secret trick" The flavors were wonderful and my hubby hates yams and didn;t even know they were in there. Haven't any idea why my mushrooms went flat.... :(
Even though I didn't use the yams, this recipe was great! The yams were omitted by accident. The mushroom is a meal in itself and extremely filling. Of course I bought "mutant" sized portabellas which was a contributing factor. made for the Bargain Basement tag game.