Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish is great with corn on the cob.
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chives, crumbled
- 2 cups potatoes, mashed
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice away pepper tops below stems.
- Remove seeds and interior spines.
- Gently parboil peppers about 5 minutes.
- Drain upside down.
- Set peppers aside. Saute onions and red pepper until soft. Add seasonings and mix well into mashed potatoes.
- Carefully stuff peppers, set them in a deep- sided baking dish.
- Pour tomato sauce around base of peppers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes covered.
- Uncover, and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Serve warm.
Very good side dish. The peppers in the garden right now are beautiful. This was a great way to use them. I love the idea of stuffing them with the potatoes!
I liked this very much, not just for the taste but for the presentation ideas. I made changes, but the overall concept is lovely and versatile. I used a red pepper as the potato holder and did not parboil. Instead of pouring tomato sauce in the dish before cooking, I added butter to tomato paste and then split the pepper, covering with that paste. Thank you for giving me so many ideas about potatoes and peppers! I will follow your instructions next time I have the proper ingredients!
Very delightfull presentation and delicious. I made this for some friends, one of whom is a child with PKU. I will be making this a lot.