Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb potato
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 green onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 2⁄3 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups enchilada sauce
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Peel and dice the potatoes, dice the tomatoes, thinly slice the green.
- onions, coursely chop the onions, mince the garlic cloves.
- Sauce: Heat olive oil in heavy skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and saute; 5 minutes.
- Mix in cumin seeds, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon and saute; 1 minute.
- Add enchilada sauce and tomato sauce, simmer 2 minutes.
- Mix in lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
- (Sauce can be prepared 2 days in advance and reheated before use.).
- Enchiladas: Heat oil in large heavy skillet.
- Add potatoes and cook until golden, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat.
- Add chili powder and cumin, cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, green onions and tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup Jack cheese, egg, cilantro and jalapeno; stir until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and cayenne; set aside.
- Brush tortillas with oil and fry briefly in a hot nonstick pan, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Top each tortilla with 1/3 cup filling.
- Roll up and place, seam side down, in baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and remaining Jack cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake until heated through and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.