Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Usually stuffed veggies in Indian recipes are deep-fried, but pan-frying in this recipe works well too and it's healthier.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut eggplant in half longitudinally.
- Place cut side up in microwave and cook on high 5mins or just until soft enough that you can scoop out the pulp leaving a firm shell. Reserve these shells.
- Heat one tablespoon oil and add cumin seeds. Just as they crackle, add ginger, chilis cumin and coriander powders.
- Stir in the potatoes, tomato and salt; cover and cook about 5mins over medium heat.
- Mix in the mashed eggplant, reduce heat and let cook until the potatoes are completely soft.
- Take the eggplant shells and fill each half with this potato-pulp mixture.
- In a small bowl make a paste of the flour and water. Spread this paste in a layer over the potatoes, ensuring the top and sides of the stuffing are completely covered.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilanto over the paste.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet, and pan-fry the eggplant in it, stuffing side down. The flour paste will form a shell on it as it fries.
- Turn over and fry the skin side too, until it crisps up.