Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Stuffed peppers from Serene Cuisine: Traditional Yogic Recipes for the Mind & Body
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 (5 ounce) potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (or substitute garlic or onion powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Slice a small piece off the top of each pepper and remove the seeds and white membranes.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, turmeric, and salt. For the Rajasic variation, also add the red chili powder. Mix well. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared peppers until they are nearly full.
- Heat the oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the asafetida and fennel seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, place the stuffed peppers, top side up, in the pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn the peppers upside down, without allowing the stuffing to fall out. (Note: Some fennel seeds should cling to the stuffing). Continue to cook over low heat for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Turn the peppers top side up. Test each pepper for doneness by gently pushing against the side. When the pepper is fully cooked, it will feel soft.
- When the peppers are done, remove the pan from the heat and allow them to cool slightly before serving.