Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This savory baked strata gets its zing from goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, balancing out the savory flavors of the Italian sausage. Easy to prepare and a crowd pleaser, it can be served for dinner with a side salad or as the centerpiece of brunch! For a lighter version make it with turkey or chicken sausage.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Remove the sausage from its casings, and cook the sausage thoroughly, crumbling it into small pieces. Drain the sausage on a paper towel and set aside. Pour off the remaining fat, then add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then squeeze the spinach so that excess liquid is removed.
- Place the butter in a 2-quart baking dish, and place in the oven to melt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, 2/3 of the goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, flour, salt and pepper. Add in the diced potatoes, spinach and sausage. Mix to combine.
- Carefully remove the dish with the melted butter from the oven, then pour the egg mixture into the dish. Crumble the remaining goat cheese over the top, then carefully place back in the oven.
- Bake the strata until the eggs are set in the middle, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating.
I usually don't like to eat sun dried tomatoes and have never cooked with them before - but my mom is visiting and she loves them so we tried this recipe.....and I am now a believer! I think coupled with the goat cheese and sausage the flavor was delicious. I'll make this again.
Savory and filling. Definitely a comfort dish with a lovely texture to it. Love the goat cheese addition instead of the typical cheddars etc.--gives it an extra kick!
This was so tasty! Made this for dinner tonight as a test run for a brunch I am having next weekend. Easy, delicious and savory. We're fighting over the leftovers at our house!