Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Potato Squares are always popular here.
- 3 cups potatoes, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel 4 medium large potatoes and grate directly into 1 cup of milk in a well buttered 8 inch square baking pan.
- Grate a small onion into the milk and add 3 Tbsp chopped green pepper, grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Beat 3 eggs well and combine. Dot with 2 tsp of butter.
- Bake at 350 F for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the pudding is richly browned.
- Cut into squares to serve.
I made this as a side dish to a beef casarole. It needs HEAPS of seasoning, and maybe less onion - my kids don't like onion...hubby loved it. Easy to make.
I took Angela's advice, added my own seasonings (paprika and freshly ground black pepper) and it came out great. This is going to become major comfort food in our house. You could go the other way, forget about the onions and add some nutmeg, and it will still be good!
I agree with both the others that this dish needed heaps of seasoning, but I made it for work (a home style restaurant) today, and it was quick, tasty and just the sort of thing we like to cook. We have cream on tap, so next time I would use half cream, half milk. I multiplied the recipe by 3 and it worked well, so it would be good for big gatherings.