Recipe by Cookin Kit
This recipe is from the "Cooking with Friends" recipe book. "Friends" is my favorite TV show, and this is definitely one of my favorite recipes. I tend to make this when entertaining & am always proud of how it turns out. I always get wonderful reviews & many requests for this recipe. It is listed in the recipe book under Vegetarian Delights. I have found that it also makes an excellent side dish to accompany beef, chicken or fish. This dish has an incredible flavor & goes nicely with a glass of wine.
Top Review by rachelsv12
I highly recommend this recipe as a nice dish to give to someone when you need to take a casserole - it's delicious, vegetarian and gluten free (it was with the ingredients I bought). I leave the mushrooms out and it is still very good. Cooking with Friends is actually a really excellent cookbook, you can get used copies on Amazon for next to nothing.
- 6 large baking potatoes (about 3 lbs I have also used 3 lbs of red potatoes. Your preference.)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, stemmed & washed
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets& set them aside.
- Scrub potatoes under cold water.
- Do not peel.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place slices in a large bowl.
- Add 4 T olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to bowl.
- Toss the potatoes gently coating them as best you can.
- It is easiest to do by hand, but a little messy.
- Once tossed, lay potatoes out on prepared baking sheets.
- Try not to overlap.
- Cover pans tightly with aluminum foil& bake for 30 minutes (see below what to do while potatoes are baking).
- When done, remove pans from oven.
- Uncover to cool.
- Do not turn oven off.
- While potatoes are baking, heat remaining 2 T oil in a large pot.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms until they throw off their juices (about another 5 minutes).
- Stir in spinach.
- then add salt& pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook til spinach wilts (about 4 minutes).
- Uncover and cook off any liquid in the pot.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in ricotta.
- Grease a 13 X 9 inch baking pan.
- Line the bottom of pan with 1/3 of potatoes.
- Spoon 1/2 spinach mixture over layer of potatoes& sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Make another layer of potatoes, cover with remaining spinach mixture& another 1/3 of the cheese.
- Lastly, cover with remaining potatoes& sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake until the casserole turns golden brown on top.
- Approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven& let settle for 5 minutes before cutting up slices.