Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is from the "Cooking with Friends" recipe book. "Friends" is my favorite TV show, and this is definitely one of my favorite recipes. I tend to make this when entertaining & am always proud of how it turns out. I always get wonderful reviews & many requests for this recipe. It is listed in the recipe book under Vegetarian Delights. I have found that it also makes an excellent side dish to accompany beef, chicken or fish. This dish has an incredible flavor & goes nicely with a glass of wine.
- 6 large baking potatoes (about 3 lbs I have also used 3 lbs of red potatoes. Your preference.)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, stemmed & washed
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets& set them aside.
- Scrub potatoes under cold water.
- Do not peel.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place slices in a large bowl.
- Add 4 T olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to bowl.
- Toss the potatoes gently coating them as best you can.
- It is easiest to do by hand, but a little messy.
- Once tossed, lay potatoes out on prepared baking sheets.
- Try not to overlap.
- Cover pans tightly with aluminum foil& bake for 30 minutes (see below what to do while potatoes are baking).
- When done, remove pans from oven.
- Uncover to cool.
- Do not turn oven off.
- While potatoes are baking, heat remaining 2 T oil in a large pot.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms until they throw off their juices (about another 5 minutes).
- Stir in spinach.
- then add salt& pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook til spinach wilts (about 4 minutes).
- Uncover and cook off any liquid in the pot.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in ricotta.
- Grease a 13 X 9 inch baking pan.
- Line the bottom of pan with 1/3 of potatoes.
- Spoon 1/2 spinach mixture over layer of potatoes& sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Make another layer of potatoes, cover with remaining spinach mixture& another 1/3 of the cheese.
- Lastly, cover with remaining potatoes& sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake until the casserole turns golden brown on top.
- Approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven& let settle for 5 minutes before cutting up slices.
I highly recommend this recipe as a nice dish to give to someone when you need to take a casserole - it's delicious, vegetarian and gluten free (it was with the ingredients I bought). I leave the mushrooms out and it is still very good. Cooking with Friends is actually a really excellent cookbook, you can get used copies on Amazon for next to nothing.