Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wimpy fries. If you like fried potatoes and cheese (who doesn't?) you are going to love this. Absolute family favorite and easy to make. The jalapeno sauce, which is optional, is very mild and adds a lot of flavor, not heat. Also, sometimes I like a couple of egg's over easy on the side with mine, just a personal preference. Enjoy.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 (12 ounce) cans Spam, small cube 1/2-inch
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 lbs potatoes, skin on, roughly cubed 1/2-inch to 3/4
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 slices processed cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) bottletabasco green jalapeno sauce (optional)
- Add oil, spam, green pepper, onion, potatoes and spices to a large skillet over medium heat. If you like a little spice add a couple of good shakes of jalapeno sauce, it's very mild. Mix with an egg flipper then cover tightly with aluminum foil and set timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes flip mixture over and repeat like this for 30 minutes (5 minutes cover, flip, etc) if it starts to stick to the pan add 3 or 4 tbs water, this helps to make steam which will cook the potatoes.
- When you see the potatoes breaking down around the edges stick a fork in one, if it goes in you will know it is done.
- This make 6 servings so when you plate it take 2 cheese slices per plate and pull them into stripes and lay on top of fries (an extra slice of cheese at this point never hurts either), nuke for 45 seconds on high and serve.
- Optional: Some people like a couple of shakes of jalapeno sauce on top, some do not. It adds a lot of flavor, not a lot of heat.
- DO NOT USE REGULAR HOT SAUCE IN PLACE OF THE JALAPENO, JUST LEAVE IT OUT.
- Also, when you cut up your potatoes don't make them all exactly the same size, you will get a better texture in the finished product this way.
This is an amazing quick and easy good treat! My family loves it! Lets be honest everyone loves Potatoes and cheese, and this has both, plus we are a huge spam lovng family, so this is a must recipe in my house! I don't think anyone could go wrong with this! Just try it once, and see for yourself! :)