Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have not tried this recipe, but thought it sounded good, and posted it by request for someone on another site.
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- white pepper
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Heat on medium and cook celery, onion, and carrot until tender.
- Add potatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil,then simmer on low about 1/2 hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream cheese and mix until blended, then add ham and stir until heated through.
- Mix in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheddar.
Heavenly! It is soooo thick, rich and creamy. I used reduced-fat cream cheese with no problem. I used a potato masher and gave the soup a few mashes. The only extra thing I added was salt. My soup was almost like pudding consisitancy. It was perfect for me, but may be too thick for some. You could easily add some milk or broth to thin it a bit, if necessary. Thanx for posting this. I'll be making this again!
Made this last night to go with Mystery girl's Monte cristo sandwiches,and was very pleased.It is all gone!BF took the last sandwich to work today and the rest of this soup.He asked me if I could make it again tonight for dinner.He wants me to double the recipe so he can have it for the week-end too.This time I will add some ham that we have leftover.This is really good and we thank you for the recipe Meryl!