Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have served this for company, its especially nice in the winter,The smoked salmon really adds zing to this soup.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb smoked salmon, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- drizzle olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over med/high and add the onions and celery, season with the salt & peppers and saute until soft.Add the bay leaf and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes.
- add the stock and the potatoes and bring to the boil.Simmer uncovered until the potatoes are soft and the mix is thick and creamy, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat , remove the bay leaf and then puree until smooth.
- Slowly add the cream and stir to blend.
- In a bowl combine the salmon, red onion and chives, and drizzle with enough oil to moisten it.
- To serve , ladle into bowls and garnish with the relish.