Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
What's for dinner? Souper Soup! I hate to confess this, but I love dipping fresh crusty rye bread in this soup.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g leek, washed and sliced crosswise
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 907.18 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 946.36 ml beef stock
- 0.59 ml dried thyme leaves
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 3 tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges,then cut in half
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 340.19 g ground lean pork
- 59.14 ml fresh breadcrumb
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 0.5 ml ground nutmeg
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Cook leeks and onion in oil over moderate heat until onions are transparent.
- Add potatoes, stock, thyme and garlic powder, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Combine meatball ingredients and shape into walnut sized balls.
- Drop into soup mixture and simmer uncovered 10- 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cook 2 minutes, add parsley and serve.
Wonderful, wonderful!! This is not your average "cream of potato" soup. This is a hearty, meaty, one-dish meal! I didn't have ground pork, so I used ground beef, and it was great. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. One suggestion I would make, Lorac, would be to give a quantity in cups or number for the potatoes. I had a hard time gauging how many potatoes made 2 lbs. I used too many and had to add more broth. Not a loss, though, since we had more soup then!!
Amazing soup Lorac!I have had this in my cookbook for a while and I am so glad I found it while "cleaning house".Perfect for a cold and rainy night.I had to sub chicken broth for the beef but left everything else the same,I had small potatoes so I used 4. Again this was just hearty meaty wonerfulness!!! I cant wait to make this again,thanks so much!
this is very good, a meal in a bowl. i used 3 leeks, 2 cloves garlic and 3 large potatoes, added a cup of chicken stock too. when the soup was done i removed the meatballs and used an immersion blender to thicken it a bit,then added the meatballs back. served this with fresh french bread and a salad