Recipe by KathyP53
I love potato soup. This interesting version is very flavorful with a little kick to it. A great autumn soup.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fully cooked chorizo sausage, casing removed, if necessary
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kale, stemmed, torn into small pieces (about 16 cups lightly packed)
- 1 loaf rustic-type bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add chorizo and paprika, stir 1 minute. Add potatoes and broth. Increase heat and bring to boil. Add kale; stir until wilted and soup returns to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Can be made one day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cool, then cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes and saute until golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle croutons with salt and pepper. Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Divide soup among bowls. Top with croutons and serve.