Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found in a potato cookbook. A nice change from the traditional potato soup.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup colby or 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- white pepper
- Heat oil in 3-quart pan over medim heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in potatoes; cook one minute.
- Stir in flour; continue cooking1 minute.
- Stir in broth.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in milk, chilies and celery salt; heat to simmering.
- Add cheeses; stir and heat just until cheese melts. DO NOT BOIL.
- Add pepper to taste. Serve hot. Garnish with celery leaves.
my boyfriend and I both loved it! Very easy, very yummy!
My husband and I really liked this soup! I'm a big fan of both potato soup and green chilis so I was really glad to have found this. It was quite tasty! We added bacon to our soup though, because the hubby couldn't do without it! :) Thanks for the great receipe! I've made it twice now, one time with baked potatoes and the other with boiled and they both come out equally good!
We all really liked this - especially the tasty broth. I made one change and used half and half instead of milk,since we only have skim milk in the house. A definite keeper. Thanks!