Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has been a family favorite for years. I got the recipe from a 1983/1984 issue of 'Country Cooking'. I usually make it in the crockpot and allow much more time to cook. It's a budget saver and kid pleaser too! The flavor is rich and 100% comfort food and the dumplings, oh, the dumplings!! Enjoy!!
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven cook the onion and celery in the 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- Add potatoes, water, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling,
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Using a scant teaspoon for each, drop dumplings into bubbling soup.
- Cover, simmer 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot soup into the sour cream, then return mixture to pot.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve in bowls; sprinkle with parsley.