1 hr 15 mins
Pam in the Kitchen's Note:
This has been a family favorite for years. I got the recipe from a 1983/1984 issue of 'Country Cooking'. I usually make it in the crockpot and allow much more time to cook. It's a budget saver and kid pleaser too! The flavor is rich and 100% comfort food and the dumplings, oh, the dumplings!! Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan or dutch oven cook the onion and celery in the 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- 2Add potatoes, water, salt, and pepper.
- 3Bring to boiling,
- 4Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes until potatoes are nearly tender.
- 5Meanwhile, combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 6Using a scant teaspoon for each, drop dumplings into bubbling soup.
- 7Cover, simmer 10 minutes.
- 8Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot soup into the sour cream, then return mixture to pot.
- 9Heat through, but do not boil.
- 10Serve in bowls; sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Soup With Butter Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.4
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 670.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g