2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 55 mins
My morning nurse, Barbara made this for me when I went to her home to have a "LIGHT" dinner - who was she kidding? It was awesome! The soup was absolutely exquisite and it had no cream, which is the way I like it! We were a small crowd and the meal was lovely! We had a salad of mixed greens with all their pretty colors & raspberry vinaigrette and cut-up fresh fruit which was absolutely so sweet and everything she put in there was beautiful - she had cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, banana's, kiwi's, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and I don't know what else - it was delicious tasting and looking!! I suspect she got some recipes from the Food Network but she said it was a combination of recipes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 680.38 g yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 44.37 ml chopped garlic
- 2365.9 ml organic low sodium chicken broth or 2365.9 ml homemade chicken stock
- 907.18 g baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded & skinned
- 59.14 ml heavy cream (was omitted)
SMOKED SALMON RELISH
- 226.79 g smoked salmon, julienned
- 59.14 ml brunoise red onion
- 44.37 ml chopped chives
- 0.25 ml extra virgin olive oil
CRISPY BRIE CROUTONS
- 1Melt the butter in a 6-quart stock pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the onions and celery.
- 3Season with salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add the bay leaf and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes.
- 5Add the stock, tomatoes and potatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are very soft and the mixture is thick and creamy, about 1 hour.
- 7Remove the soup from the heat.
- 8Discard the bay leaf.
- 9With a handheld blender or food processor, puree until smooth.
- 10(Add 1/4 cup heavy cream if you like - she didn't use it).
- 11Stir to blend.
- 12Re-season the soup.
- 13SMOKED SALMON RELISH:.
- 14In a small mixing bowl, combine the salmon, red onions and chives.
- 15Drizzle the relish with enough oil to moisten.
- 16Season the relish with black pepper.
- 17Let the flavors marry - make ahead or when soup is cooking.
- 18CRISPY BRIE CROUTONS: (Makes 16 - just in case!).
- 19Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- 20Place the sliced bread in one layer on a large baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on both sides, turning once, about 4 minutes per side.
- 21Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over one side of each slice.
- 22Top each bread slice with a slice of cheese & a sprinkling of parsley; bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- 24To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls; garnish soup with relish & a slice of toasted Brie crouton.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Soup & Smoked Salmon Relish With Crispy Brie Crouton
Serving Size: 1 (6028 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.4
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.2 mg
- Sodium 1036.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 25.7 g