Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
My morning nurse, Barbara made this for me when I went to her home to have a "LIGHT" dinner - who was she kidding? It was awesome! The soup was absolutely exquisite and it had no cream, which is the way I like it! We were a small crowd and the meal was lovely! We had a salad of mixed greens with all their pretty colors & raspberry vinaigrette and cut-up fresh fruit which was absolutely so sweet and everything she put in there was beautiful - she had cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, banana's, kiwi's, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and I don't know what else - it was delicious tasting and looking!! I suspect she got some recipes from the Food Network but she said it was a combination of recipes!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 10 cups organic low sodium chicken broth or 10 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded & skinned
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (was omitted)
SMOKED SALMON RELISH
- 1⁄2 lb smoked salmon, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup brunoise red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
CRISPY BRIE CROUTONS
- 16 slices French bread (16 slices -1/4-inch thick)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled & smashed
- 1⁄2 lb brie cheese, thinly sliced (divided evenly)
- chopped flat leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a 6-quart stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and celery.
- Season with salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and garlic, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and potatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are very soft and the mixture is thick and creamy, about 1 hour.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- With a handheld blender or food processor, puree until smooth.
- (Add 1/4 cup heavy cream if you like - she didn't use it).
- Stir to blend.
- Re-season the soup.
- SMOKED SALMON RELISH:.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the salmon, red onions and chives.
- Drizzle the relish with enough oil to moisten.
- Season the relish with black pepper.
- Let the flavors marry - make ahead or when soup is cooking.
- CRISPY BRIE CROUTONS: (Makes 16 - just in case!).
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the sliced bread in one layer on a large baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on both sides, turning once, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over one side of each slice.
- Top each bread slice with a slice of cheese & a sprinkling of parsley; bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls; garnish soup with relish & a slice of toasted Brie crouton.