Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
i found this in a penzeys catalog and cannot wait to try it in colder weather!cheddar cheese sounds good with this one!
- in a 4 qt saucepan fry bacon till crisp over medium heat.
- remove bacon and drain.
- drain all but 2 tbsp of drippings from the pan.
- add minced onions,celery and carrot.
- add marjoram and thyme.
- cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes.
- add potatoes, stir,cover and cook about 15 minutes.
- push vegetables to the side of the pan and add flour 1 tbsp at a time till incorporated into the drippings.
- mix vegetables with the flour mixture.
- add bacon and cook for 5 more minutes.
- add 1 qt chicken stock and stir till smooth.
- add the rest of the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- add saffron threads and simmer till potatoes are cooked through---about 1/2 hour.
- add parsley flakes.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.