Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
She was looking for a low fat soup for her diet so I came up with this. We like to have this with Aunt Millie's low-fat honey wheat bread. 1 point for 2 slices. Try it, you'll like it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 16 cups water
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 lb carrot, med dice
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled large dice
- 1⁄2 lb healthy choice ham, med dice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- Put butter, onions and celery into a large heavy covered stock pot. Sweat on low for 12 minutes stirring a couple of times.
- Add water, carrots, potatoes, ham, salt and pepper to covered pot and raise heat to high. When water starts to boil lower heat to medium low and soft boil for 18 minutes. Carrots should be firm soft. Cook longer if necessary.
- Remove from heat and put 3 ladles of vegetables and milk into a blender or food processor. MAKE SURE LID IS ON TIGHT, MIXTURE IS HOT! Process on high speed for 60 seconds. Carefully add back into pot and stir until blended.