Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- In a large saucepan add the onions and potatoes.
- Cover with boiling, salted water.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain and reserve the water.
- Mash the potatoes; add the bacon drippings and seasoning.
- Add hot milk gradually and blend well.
- If too thick, you can thin with potato water or hot milk.
- Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley or paprika.
This is an excellent recipe. Quick and easy. The ingredients and preparation method are very much what I remember my mother making. I followed the recipe as written except for increasing the quantity from 2 servings to 4 and riced the potatoes instead of mashing. I feel the soup would freeze well by following the directions through and including step 5. Freeze in portion sizes as desired. When ready to use remove from freezer, thaw and add hot milk to desired consistency, heat slowly to keep the soup from scorching to the bottom of the pan. Season to taste and garnish when ready to serve. Thank you for sharing. Your recipe has brought back fond memories.
This so very Higley Rated. I have never tryed to make potato soup before. This turned out the best of the best. I used it in one of my recipes that called for canned potato soup. I am very happy with the turn out. I will be making this again. Thank You