Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this potato soup recipe from my mother in law. We absolutely love it and it is very simple.You can, of course, decrease the cheese amount. I also add broccoli, carrots, corn, peas or any combination of those when I am in the mood. Very delicious, yet simple, soup.
- 6-8 medium potatoes
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 1419.54 ml milk
- 9.85 ml chicken bouillon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese
- Peel, cube, boil, drain and "mush" potatoes to the consistency you like (I like them lumpy, but my kids like smaller pieces).
- In separate pan, melt butter, add flour and cook while stirring for about a minute or so.
- Add half the milk and stir until lumps are out of flour mixture.
- Add remaining milk and on med-high heat, heat to a boil.
- Stir almost constantly or it will scorch.
- After boiling, turn heat off and add remaining ingredients.
Very easy to make. Be sure to stir continuously!! I added chopped onion and minced garlic. I left out the cheese and used it as a topping instead with crumbled bacon.
10 Stars! Made this for the first time on Super Bowl Sunday 2002 and YUM-YUM! Mashed about 1/3 and kept 2/3 of potatoes cubed - added diced carrots, used half "Half n Half" and half 2% milk ...... I would HIGHLY recommend this as it can be "customized" however you want! Anxious to make other variations......
Very good! I added chopped onion with the butter and cooked it a bit before adding the flour. I used non-fat milk and it still came out very nice and creamy. It thickened up nicely after adding the potatoes. I continued to cook a bit after adding the cheese and potatoes (as opposed to the recipe calling for turning the heat off). I stirred in about 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard and a little more salt to bring the flavor out. Thanks for posting!