Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From a free Penzey's recipe card. Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds good!
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- In a heavy 4 quart covered soup pot, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels and break into small pieces. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from the pot.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, marjoram and thyme to the pot, stir, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stir, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pot and then stir in the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. When the flour has all been incorporated, mix with the vegetables.
- Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 quart chicken stock and stir until smooth. Add the rest of the stock and bring to a boil. Add saffron threads.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Add parsley flakes. Taste, then season with salt and pepper as desired.
We liked it! Had this for lunch today along with Michelle's delicious recipe #173795. I used my hand-held blender thingie to cream the soup and added a bit of milk to thin it out. Next time I would reduce the marjoram and it seemed to overpower the other flavors. Thanks for posting Michelle! Made for ZWT, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
Very different (in a good way) from the creamy potato soups. I let this set covered off heat for an additional 30 minutes so the saffron could really come through. Thanx for posting!
Made half the recipe and followed recipe as posted. Very different from all the others I've tried but also very good. Made for ZWT4.