This recipe is very flexible as a soup base. I usually add at least a can of smoked oysters, but you can also throw in things like spinach and cheese. Be creative with it! Note: The sodium and fat content seem to represent the nutritional data for this recipe only if no low-fat or low/no-sodium substitutions are made. Recipe Zaar does not seem to recognize "low-sodium chicken broth", "low-sodium bullion cubes" or "turkey bacon" as healthier alternatives at this time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 small gold potatoes, cubed
- 28 ounces low sodium vegetable broth or 28 ounces sodium-free vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine (make sure it's bake-safe)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes or 1 sodium-free chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 slice turkey bacon, diced
- 2 dashes salt (or to taste)
- 2 dashes black pepper (or to taste)
- 1Put cubed potatoes in a soup pot and cover with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook until sticking a fork the potatoes meets with little or no resistance. (Don't bother covering the potatoes. It won't boil or cook any faster, and the starch in the potatoes will just make it boil over and make a mess.).
- 2Meanwhile, melt margarine in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook through. Add onion and celery and saute on medium-high until tender.
- 3Also meanwhile, heat skim milk (or soy or rice milk) and bouillon in a saucepan, stirring until bouillon dissolves. Don’t boil or scald, just warm it.
- 4Mix starch and water until smooth. Add starch mixture to the milk, stirring constantly until it thickens to desired consistency.
- 5Combine everything into the soup pot.
- 6You may be tempted to puree all or some of the soup in your blender. If that's you're thing, go for it. The soup is also quite delicious as is. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.9
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 181.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes