Recipe by English_Rose
Most of us have potatoes and onions in the house even if the cupboard is otherwise bare, so you could make this delicious soup at a moment's notice. You can leave the herbs out, and you can garnish with anything you like: try fresh pesto, chunks of chorizo, or red pepper puree.
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 ounces chopped onions
- 14 ounces peeled diced potatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon herbs, chopped (parsley, thyme, lemon balm and or or chives)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium-low heat. When it foams, add the onion and potato.
- Season well, stir, then cover with a lid made from baking parchment, putting the paper on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat low and sweat over a gentle heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil.
- When the vegetables are soft but not coloured add the freshly chopped herbs and stock and continue to cook until the potatoes are soft enough to crush.
- Purée the soup in a blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Thin with more stock or milk if you like.
- Serve sprinkled with a few chopped herbs and some chive or thyme flowers in season, or garnish with potato chips.