- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 cups leeks (you can substitute onions)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 5 quart pan.
- Add leeks or onions and cook slowly for 5 minutes without browning.
- Blend in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add water, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Add potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer partially covered 45 minutes.
- You can prepare ahead to this point if you like.
- Before serving, bring soup to a simmer and stir in cream, parsley and 3 tablespoons more butter.