Recipe by Carmen B.
Great soup I've made often. Just add bread and a salad and you have a nice light meal. Add some cooked chopped bacon if desired
- 3 medium red potatoes or 3 medium white potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped (if desired to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a pot; add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain potatoes reserving cooking liquid. Measure cooking liquid adding more water if necessary to make 1 cup and set aside.
- Melt butter in pot; sauté onion until tender, but not browned.
- Add flour to pot, season with salt and pepper and whisk until blended.
- Slowly add milk and whisk until smooth.Gradually add reserved 1 cup water, potatoes, sugar,cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add parsley and garnish with green onions.